Posted on August 2012
A. Yes. We recommend the following insulation specifications to ensure high efficiency and low operating costs:
1. Use at least R-8 insulation on ducts in the attic and R-6 on ducts in the crawl space. If construction design permits, install ducts inside the conditioned area.
2. Seal all joints with duct mastic, duct mastic tape or the equivalent.
3. Install R-30 to R-38 attic insulation on as much of the system as possible.
4. Select mechanical equipment with a minimum Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating (SEER) of 13.0.
5. Insulate heater closet and caulk all seams to avoid drawing air in from the attic or unconditioned areas.