In houses with forced-air heating and cooling systems, ducts are used to distribute conditioned air throughout the house. In a typical house, however, 20-30 percent of the air that moves through the duct system is lost due to leaks and poorly sealed connections. The result is higher utility bills and difficulty keeping the house comfortable, no matter how the thermostat is set.
Proper sealing of your home’s duct distribution system can significantly improve airflow, offering many benefits:
- Savings: Reduced energy use means you save money, and properly sealed ducts often pay for themselves in energy savings.
- Comfort: Duct sealing eliminates hot and cold spots, balancing temperatures throughout your home.
- Indoor Air Quality: Sealed ducts reduce the risk of pollutants entering and circulating through your home.
- Safety: Duct sealing decreases the risk of “backdrafting,” where gases from gas-operated appliances are drawn back into living spaces.
- Environmental Protection: Using less energy helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions associated with electricity generation and distribution.
Because some ducts are concealed in walls and between floors, repairing them can be difficult. However, exposed ducts in attics, basements, crawlspaces, and garages can be repaired by sealing the leaks with duct sealant (also called duct mastic). In addition, insulating ducts that run through spaces that get hot in summer or cold in winter (like attics, garages, or crawlspaces) can save significant energy.
A participating contractor will be able to locate your biggest leaks first, and seal them to maximize on energy savings.
Note: A test-in and test-out analysis is required by a program participating contractor or a licensed contractor with Duct and Envelope Tightness (DET) certification to qualify for the Home Energy Improvement Program rebate. A 30% or greater improvement must also be made to the duct system. To learn more about the preconditions and requirements, please see the rebate brochure under Applications & Forms or call 1-877-310-5607.